Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:48:11 +0000 (UTC)
----- "John Miller" <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:

> A few automatics have the pump driven off the output side of the
> transmission, and I think some early ones actually had pumps on both
> input and output shafts.  This maintains lubrication flow within the
> transmission.
>
> I believe some models of Saturn did as well; they could be flat-towed
> without blowing up the transmission, which made them very popular in
> the RV world.

True. I have seen the documentation on this at the Saturn dealer.  I wouldn't
have an autotrans car (stuck with it on the truck though), but if an RV family
must have an automatic in their toad, Saturn was a good choice.  Some models
required you to pull a fuse or some such.

> As far as I'm concerned the proper response to the whole
> throttle-stick
> thing is to stuff the transmission in neutral.

Agreed.

> I'm sure there's some car out there that won't go into neutral, but
> every thing we've got does.

I hope so.  It's a good thing to do in certain slippery conditions where your
manual-transmision impulse would be to bash in the clutch.

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UB "uncle jack"
1979 Caterham 7
1994 Miata C-package
2004 Suburban 8.1
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4