Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:48:01 -0800
Nolan wrote:

>So far, I've yet to drive a car that refused to allow the car to be
>accelerated with the gas and brake pedal pushed.  Every
>Honda/Nissan/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/GM/VW I have driven allowed it.  This
>includes a good number of 2009 model year vehicles.  Not saying certain
>models don't have this lockout, but I've yet to encounter it.

         I've verified today that my '01 Golf TDI, with drive-by-wire
throttle, has the brake override the throttle.
         With the car stopped, pressed the brake pedal down.  Pressed the
throttle to the floor.  Engine revved to 1200rpm and stayed there.
         Drove down a local empty side street at 2500rpm in 2nd gear
(manual trans).  Kept my foot on the throttle, stepped lightly on the
brakes with my left foot.  Just an inch or two, enough to trigger the brake
switch but not enough to apply any real braking force.  Engine revs
immediately dropped, car slowed down, coasting and settling at 1200rpm even
though the throttle was now to the floor.
         Don't know about other makes/models but on a '99.5-05 Golf/Jetta
cars with a DBW throttle you should get the same results.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 270,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       230,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff