[Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Miter saw or compound miter saw
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 01:00:31 -0500
Hi everybody !

Been off this list for months - bad story, not relevant anyway.

My middle daughter is about to close on a house 150 miles from here and I
will be needing to install some floors, baseboard, etc.  Unless I carry my
hand miter box down there or just freehand everything with a Skilsaw, this
seems like an excuse to buy a miter saw.

I do have a 10" old-style (cast iron column) Craftsman radial arm saw that I
don't use since I use the 10" Unisaw.  Point is, I have lots of 10" blades
and don't really need anything - this is an excuse to get a portable miter
saw, not to gain any cutting capability I really need.

I was thinking Horrible Freight because of coupons, etc., and because most
of the things I've bought there are fine for what they are.  I really need
this to make a few hundred cuts at most - it won't be used every day at all.
OTOH, I've seen some decent prices on real brands as well.

Sooooo.

Do I get the compound saw for more flexibility, or the plain chop-action
miter saw for rigidity ?  The compound seems fine in the store, though a bit
clumsy and heavy for what it does.  Rigidity seems OK if I'm not doing
cabinet work.  Any experience with HF saws ?

And since I have lots of 10" blades I figure I really should get a 10" saw,
especially if it's a compound, but then again I don't need lots of blades
for a saw like this and a 12" cuts more stuff.  Price at HF is maybe $10
different, so that's not an issue.  Weight and convenience might be.  And
10" blades are just so common.  How do I decide ??

TIA

Karl

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96