Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top

To: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:42:55 -0500
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net> wrote:
> We have a cottage with an old formica counter top we'd like to replace. We'd
> like to replace it, but we can't find any brackets. It looks like it's the top
> has been glued to the cabinet tops? Any ideas on how to replace? Can we just
> cover the old formica? It's still pretty solid after probably over 30 years?

You can glue new laminate onto the existing stuff.  If you can clean
and properly prep the surface, you can get a good bond.  But It's a
really big pain to do it in place, and if there's any damage to the
plywood or particle board, it's not worth doing.

Usual practice when installing them is caulk or glue, plus screws
driven through the cabinets into the wood substrate of the counters.
I've seen only glue, I 've seen glue and a thousand screws.  Depends
on who installed it.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com