Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top

To: pat@hornesystemstx.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter top
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:46:05 -0500
On 11/25/2010 9:02 PM, Pat Horne wrote:
> Formica is usually put down with contact cement. Contact cement can be
> released with lacquer thinner. If there is a loose spot around the
> edge, squirt some lacquer thinner under it and let it sit for a few
> minutes, then carefully work a putty knife under and see if it is
> releasing at all. If so, continue applying lacquer thinner and lifting
> the Formica until it all comes loose.
>
> Peace,
> Pat

Saw the guys on "Ask This Old House" use a clothes iron to release and
reapply laminate.  The heat from the iron softens the cement and makes
it tacky.  Pretty neat.  They fixed a damaged edge piece by scavenging a
piece hidden by an appliance.  They scored both the damaged piece and
the replacement path with a square and razor knife.  Heated them with
the iron, snapping both off.  Then used the iron reapply the patch.
With patience you could remove all the laminate.

Peter T.