Re: [Shop-talk] cutting exhaust pipe

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cutting exhaust pipe
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:10:49 -0800
> I think I stated "cut from just one side" which implied
> 'like
> a cutoff saw' or that "extra cuts" or working your way around the pipe
> or
> hacking the pipe out in several pieces was not a viable option.

Sorry, my mistake.  I did not think "cut from just one side" excluded taking
it out in pieces.

But if the issue is just that one side of the pipe is up against a panel,
then you can cut a pipe thicker than the radius of your cutoff wheel.  In my
case, two intersecting angle cuts let me remove part of the pipe, which got
close enough that I could go the rest of the way with a 90 degree cut.  But
if that won't do, you can make two 90 degree cuts across the pipe but some
distance apart, as deep as your blade will allow, and then two more cuts
along the length of the pipe to connect the first two cuts.  Remove that
section of pipe and repeat the process as many times as needed.

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive