Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>,<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:22:22 -0800
At 01:07 PM 1/15/2011 -0600, Jim Stone wrote:
>I need to fill in a 1/8" hole in an aluminum intake manifold prior to having
>it powder coated.  While much of the aluminum is around 3/8" thick, I don't
>think it is more than 1/8th or so around the hole.  Right now, the hottest
>torch I have is an old MAAP Gas one that has served me well with small
>projects for many years, mostly plumbing.  I just test brazed a similar hole
>in a piece of scrap (a bit thicker than the area on the manifold) and, while
>the resulting repair is invisible, I am not sure the brazing aluminum really
>bonded with the surface metal.  Is simple MAAP hot enough for this
>application, or do I need to buy an Oxi-MAAP torch
>(http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarnk/R-202185043/h_d2/P
>roductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)?  Any other suggestions
>before I tackle it?

I just started to tell you that you can't braze aluminum but then I was going
to direct you to the stuff you need to gas weld aluminum and look what
pops up?
https://www.tinmantech.com/index.php
"Tips from the Tin Man" - Brazing Aluminum

On the Ask the Expert tab, there is also a link to repairing aluminum.

Kent White is one of the masters of metal work.  The answer to your
question is here.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive