[Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum

Subject: [Shop-talk] Brazing Aluminum
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:02:14 -0500
On 1/15/2011 2:07 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> I need to fill in a 1/8" hole in an aluminum intake manifold prior to having
> it powder coated.  While much of the aluminum is around 3/8" thick, I don't

Wow, did not know you COULD braze it.  I've seen it TIGed and MIGed and
even that's tricky with good equipment.  It sucks the heat away from the
weld so quickly, it's hard to get it hot enough.  OTH, beverage cans
melt in campfires.

I think you need at least an acetylene setup.  Pre-heating to 400 or 500
in the kitchen oven will help too.  Did you google it?  There are a
bunch of articles out there on it.

-Wayne