Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil

To: <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:10:26 -0600
So, just to wrap this up: a new Helicoil did the trick.  I bought a kit at
Napa that included a new tap, the setting tool and bunch of coils.  Running
the tap through the old hole worked almost too well and seemed to give me new
threads even in the area near the surface where there were none before.  I
don't know how that would be possible, unless the old one was somehow smaller
on the outside but still the same on the inside.  Regardless, I followed
Randall's advice and cut off one complete thread from the outside which I
think will help it from unraveling later.  I did use a stud, although there
was one there to begin with.  Everything held tight and the car is back
together and I took it out for a spin this afternoon.  This is the first time
I can remember when I screwed around with the intake manifold and didn't have
to find and correct a vacuum leak afterwards!  My thanks to everyone who
provided advice and suggestions.
Jim