Re: [Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 10:06:05 -0500
The term I use is 'beam style'. Essentially it cannot go out of
'calibration' (as long as it was well made originally- does the wrench have
any brand name markings?).

I use my 25 year old Craftsman beam style torque wrench to check my
'clicker' (which can loose calibration if springs stretch or pawls wear). I
put a 5/8" six point socket on each and connect the two sockets with a 2"
long 5/8" nut. (and now I can't think of the name for this type of long
nut...!)

There are places that can calibrate torque wrenches. A machine shop would
likely know where to get it done. I've heard that some Snap-On dealers can
do. I don't know how much they charge however. Probably more than a
Craftsman beam style torque wrench, two sockets and a long nut...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell