Re: [Shop-talk] 220V extension cord with breaker

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 220V extension cord with breaker
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:32:08 -0400
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
wrote:
> Yes, that's exactly what I said to my electrician friend. B The answer is
> that your clock radio is designed to handle faults involving up to 20 Amps.
> B That is, if something goes wrong inside, it is supposed to hang together
> without setting your night table on fire until the breaker blows.

Your electrician friend is either confused or having fun with you.
The clock radio I just took apart (to see if I could fix the broken
switch.  Answer: not without surface mount desoldering...) would have
burst into flame long before the 20A breaker feeding it blew.  It had
no visible circuit protection, and had the electric cord solder to its
power supply.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com