Re: [Shop-talk] anode rods-- was the air saga continues

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] anode rods-- was the air saga continues
From: Ben Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 17:45:33 -0400
I'd love to know if the areas like yours where they require licensed
professionals with permits to do work like this have a lower rate of
fires and other safety related incidents than areas like where I am
where if there are rules like this they are not enforced.  If there's
not evidence that the licensing/permitting requirements save lives or
dollars then there's a case to lobby local officials to change the
rules.  At that point I'm guessing the local trade associations would
start making lots of noise.

Seems like if there were overwhelming evidence that licensing/permitting
requirements saved lives or dollars every state/locality would enforce
it and insurance companies would be lobbying for it as well.  My
experience with hiring "professionals" for this type of work is that
about 3 out of 4 times they don't do it as well as if I had done it
myself.  My last experience was the "professional" who installed our new
dishwasher two years ago.  A few weeks ago the plastic hot water line he
installed blew out of the fitting and flooded the kitchen and basement.
When I read the installation manual it said use of plastic compression
fittings was not recommended.  It called for copper or braided line with
screw on fittings.  I followed the instructions.....

Anyway, with what I saw the anode rods cost I will continue to make the
decision to just replace the whole unit every so many years.  My last
one lasted 14 years.  It takes about an hour to replace it and the last
one I bought was under $300.  If I lived in your area I might make a
different decision though.

Ben.....

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@gmail.com