[Shop-talk] gps stuff

Subject: [Shop-talk] gps stuff
From: parkanzky at gmail.com (Paul Parkanzky)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:11:18 -0400
One more important issue with using a smartphone as a GPS is that it gets
the maps over cellular data (They're usually not stored on the phone).  That
means that you lose your maps when you don't have signal.

I mentioned before that the cord for one of our older units failed.  It
happened to me as I was leaving the track to come home.  I thought, "No
problem, I'll just use my phone."  I take a very rural route home from this
particular track.  It's a beautiful drive down a lot of old country roads.
 Unfortunately, I got 15 minutes from the track and into the middle of
nowhere when I found myself without cellular signal and without navigational
aid.  I got home alright, but I definitely didn't take the most efficient
route.  Instead, I had to just work my way toward home driving in the right
general direction until I finally came to a 'major' road.

I'd wager that shop-talkers are more likely than most to find themselves
beyond the pale, so that's one more thing to consider.

-Paul