[Shop-talk] generac generator won't start ???

Subject: [Shop-talk] generac generator won't start ???
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:37:17 -0400
At 03:41 PM 6/26/2011, John Niolon wrote:

 >more info...   went out in the 97 degrees  and disconnected the
starter from the engine... hooked up  battery charger to
 >the starter directly and it spun away... hooked up to the bendix
and it kicked the gear out for engagement with the
 >flywheel...   so I stuck it all back together and tried it again...
(nothing stuck on the starter...check

John,

Well, that sure sounds like the starter is OK.

 >hooked the battery charger to the battery and put it in start mode
120amp... and I still get the 5 or 6 clicks from the relay
 >but have confirmed that each click does actuate the bendix but the
bendix will not stay engaged...

The Battery charger and the battery, act like a good battery.  So
that infers that the main wire to the starter is bad.

You can check that out, but checking the voltage at the battery when
you are trying to crank the engine.  The battery
voltage should be above 11V when cranking.  If not, then the battery
or the charger isn't working, or you have a bad connection.  Now
check the voltage at the starter of the main power wire.  It too
should be above 11V.  If not measure
the voltage drop on the main feed wire.  Place the positive lead on
the positive battery terminal and the negative meter
lead on the main power wire at the starter, and try to start the
engine.  The voltage on the meter should be less than 1V.

If not, there is either a bad connection at the battery, starter, or
the the connectors on the wire are bad, or the wire is
broken in the unsulation.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va