Re: [Shop-talk] Removing bondo

To: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removing bondo
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:02:16 -0700
A propane torch will soften the filler, making it much easier to scrape the
heavier layers off.

One of these on a 4.5" grinder will take off the thinner layers:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/paint-tools/norton/4-12-in-x-58-11-in-rapid-strip-disc-70237.html
  (it will leave
some fine scratching).

Chemical paint strippers work, but not too well on thick buildups.

We had to take a bunch of filler off our Austin-Healey; we heated, scraped,
then got the last of it with the stripper wheel.

Bob

On 10/19/2011 4:45 PM, Douglas Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old fender (for a '31 Ford) that has a coat of bondo about 1/8"
> thick all over it.  Does anybody
> know a good way to remove it?  I will eventually sandblast the fender, but I
> am worried that the bondo
> will be resistant to sandblasting, sort of the way rubber or some plastics
> are.
>
> Does methylene chloride paint stripper attack the stuff?  How about burning
> it off?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net