[Shop-talk] Is this true?---Fw: eBay Motors Fee Class Action(6540054)

Subject: [Shop-talk] Is this true?---Fw: eBay Motors Fee Class Action(6540054)
From: mdporter at dfn.com (Michael Porter)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:14:15 -0700
On 1/17/2012 11:46 AM, Mike Sinclair wrote:
> I had a friend who years ago bought a car part from across the state.  They
> shipped the part ok, but then sent a LETTER (no email those days), saying he
> owed another five cents.  He ignored it, so they send a second letter.  This
> time he taped a dime to a letter saying he didn't have change.  They sent him
> another letter, with a check for five cents.

My favorite story along these lines was from a guy I knew in the army
(who was, even in the `60s, far geekier than many today when it came to
computers, etc.) who had taken out a department store account while he
was working in Washington, DC, and after being drafted, when he was
going to Vietnam, wrote them a check to pay off his balance and close it
out.  Almost immediately, he started getting overdue notices, demanding
payment of $0.00.  After a couple of months, the threatening letters
followed him to the helicopter unit he was at in Dong Tam, and were
getting progressively nastier, the bill would be sent to collections,
etc.  He would dutifully write them back and tell them he didn't owe
them anything, to no avail.  Finally, he said, he realized that no
matter how many letters he sent them, this was just a programming error
that no one had felt was worth bothering to fix, so he sent them a check
for $0.00, and no more trouble.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....