[Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: jem at milleredp.com (John Miller)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:39:18 -0800
On 1/19/2012 4:14 PM, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
> Can you just wrap the cable around something small and secure it so that
> you've effectively shortened it an inch without removing any cable?

I've got one of the little Harbor Freight hand-operated hydraulic
crimping tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

Bought it to do battery-cable lugs and the like, but it also done a good
job swedging sleeves onto aircraft cable for gate supports and the like.
  I imagine it'd do a decent job of putting a button on a piece of
handbrake cable or similar.

John.