Re: [Shop-talk] Battery minders?

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery minders?
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:58:03 -0800 (PST)
I have the battery minder from Northern Tool.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

It
works. It has recovered a few batteries for me, but eventually those recovered
batteries don't hold the charge until I run through another session. About the
only gripe that I have is the clips that hold it to the battery. They rust. It
could be the acidic gas, dis-similar metal issue, or just cheap chromed metal.
If I put in on a battery, I must monitor it,  otherwise the clips will
eventually rust away from the contact and when I think I have a charged
battery, I find a dead one. It will however recover that dead battery if it
isn't too far below 10volts, otherwise it will not charge it. The cheap Harbor
Freight float charger recovers the battery slow charging enough to the battery
minder. I have a few dead Harbor Freight chargers  and I''ll recycle the
battery clips eventually to the Battery Minder. If you're feeling mechanically
inclined, there are several hits on google where you can find free plans to
build your own battery minder.

Regards,
Brian
<scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
February 12, 2012 12:23 PM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Battery minders?
>
>So I
think I just killed a motorcycle battery by leaving it on a Sears charger.
What brand automatic battery charger do we like now, and where do we like to
get it?

>Thanks.
>
>Scott
>
>Shop-talk@autox.team.net