Re: [Shop-talk] Battery minders?

To: "'shoptalk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery minders?
From: "Mullen" <elans4@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:23:52 -0500
Battmain wrote:

> It works. It has recovered a few batteries for me, but
> eventually those recovered batteries don't hold the
> charge until I run through another session. About the
> only gripe that I have is the clips that hold it to the
> battery. They rust.

I've got a couple of the BatteryMinders (one an older one, the others are
the "Plus" models - slightly higher charge amperage).  They are great.

One car I use it on is a '94 Miata - 18 years old and only on its second
battery (I bought it used and the first owner didn't treat the battery
gently).  The car is parked on the driveway over the winter and the
BatteryMinder keeps the battery in good condition.  The Miata battery has
been "saved" a couple of times - once was when someone opened the door one
night to riffle through the car, and left the door ajar killing the battery.

Another car is my Elise - which comes with a very small battery.  Most
owners have had to swap out the battery in only a couple of years.  Mine is
a '05 (August '94) and still has its original battery going strong.  That's
seven and a years, with many more to come.

The BatteryMinder is much like the Battery Tender in function, but the
BatteryMinder has the addition feature that it sends some kind of high
frequency "pulse" through the battery and that de-sulfates the battery,
restoring its functionality.  When you use the BatteryMinder to "restore" a
battery, you do need to leave it connected for a long time - at least
several days - to get the full effect.  You can disconnect the battery drive
the car, and then connect it back up as needed, but it will take more than
24 hours to fully charge the battery - but that is not a problem as it
automatically adjusts its charging to maintain the full charge.

As for the rusting on the clips mentioned above, that is cured on my
installation by using the bolt on connector - they attach to the battery
clamp bolts and extend a fuse protected lead away from the battery where you
can plug in the cable from the BatteryMinder.  The connections are common to
the Battery Tender line, so you can buy additional clamps, bolt-on
connectors, cigar lighter connectors, and extension cords to you system.
The Lotus is plugged in such that the charger is on the front wall of the
garage with an extension cord running to the rear where it connects to the
battery (in the boot).  The Miata is connected with two extension cords
running from the garage to the rear of the Miata.  They all work great.

Highly recommended.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html