[Shop-talk] Light delay for shop entrance

Subject: [Shop-talk] Light delay for shop entrance
From: strovato at optonline.net (Steven Trovato)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:08:38 -0500
There are always these spring wound timer switches, often used for
bath fans:  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2798424002P
This one does not have a position to just stay on.  I remember seeing
some that you turn past a certain point and they stay on
forever.  Don't know if that's important to you.  These are cheap
(<$20) and reliable, with no electronics involved.  They do make a
slight ticking noise which might be a problem if it's in a library,
but probably not a big deal in your application.

As for the motion sensor, if you use one where you can aim the
sensor, you can pretty much eliminate the passing animal problem by
just aiming the sensor right at the ground in front of the door.  You
would set it off on your way out, but unless a deer comes to ring
your doorbell, neither they nor you will turn the light on as you
approach.  This may be OK for you, as you weren't looking for that
capability in the first place, you just wanted the light to go out on
a timer.

One complaint I have about the motion sensor lights is that power
irregularities can set them into odd states.  I know some will stay
on forever if you flick the wall switch off and on again.  It seems
that sometimes a power hit can convince the device that this is what
you did.  Not a big deal if the light stays on once in a while, but
if it's somewhere unattended like a vacation home, it might be a problem.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net