Re: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, tputland@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 22:48:02 -0400
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
On 5/13/2012 6:20 PM, Tim wrote:
I have half a dozen or more ant 'hills' in my back yard; a yard that is
only about 75x100 feet at best. They are about a half inch and black. I
may have seen a white spot on the back end of one of the colony's

If they're that bad, call an exterminator. There are probably a lot more than what you can see! When I lived in Ohio, the bugs (like summer mosquitoes) were just annoying. 11 years now in North Caroline on heavily wooded land, they're BAD if you don't put down some heavy duty stuff to whack them!

The exterminators around here typically want you to sign up for an annual contract or plan for four applications a year. I pay $250/annual for it. Most common is an insecticide "Talstar" they is sprayed up the exterior foundation and walls, and 10 or so feet out into the yard. You can buy and apply it yourself, unlike some more heavily regulated chemicals. The local Southern States Store has it for $35/qt or you can order from Amazon. But as pricey as it is, I'm willing to pay to let someone else handle the toxic stuff!

It's been highly effective at keeping spiders, ants, gnats, etc out of the house and substantially reducing them outside.

-Wayne