Re: [Shop-talk] Ford Explorer Brake Line Repair

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ford Explorer Brake Line Repair
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:44:14 -0400
> > I am currently 'borrowing' a cousin's vacation house.  The cousin, who is
> > extremely generous with the house, leaves his 2004 Explorer here for his
> > guests to use.  Unfortunately, the brakes went out while we were driving
it
> > today and a little inspection revealed that the right front brake hose
has
> > split.  I only have limited tools here and no way to put the car on jack
> > stands or ramps, but it looks like a very simple repair to me requiring
only
> > socket wrench and one open end, followed by a bleed.  Has anyone here
ever
> > done it?  I could certainly have the car towed to a mechanic, but doing
it
> > myself would give us the car to use while we are vacationing and be a
nice
> way
> > to say 'thanks'.
>
> If everything goes right it's very simple. But typically the nuts will be
> stuck in place enough that a normal open end will just round off the nut.
You
> need a flare nut wrench which wraps around the nut touching all six sides.
> Sometimes this doesn't work either, if they're really stuck.

agreed, b/c if the line itself is worn, the connection is probably seized as
well.  Had some luck on my brother's 98 Subaru by cutting it open.  With his
understanding that it might go horribly wrong and require bending new brake
lines, I took an angle grinder and small cutting disc to the outside female
connection, slicing it down the side, that and some penetrating oil got the
connection off pretty easily on both sides.  a little damage was done to the
nut on the inside, but those threads don't do any sealing, only the flared
brake line does.

Coworker has a Ford pickup, I think an F150 that he uses only for towing a
landscaping trailer.  Told me had some *hard* brake lines go on him at the
front recently due to rust.  Might've been an '04 or somewhere around there,
certainly not decades old or anything.  Spent way too much money having a shop
fix it after being told "it's a known issue".

PJ