Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not

To: "'Scott'" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] This is why I don't work in IT, was: Re: Entirely not shop related, but...
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:11:10 -0800
> I'm inclined to say screw it and just use the Win8 on the
> laptop in its unactivated state--it seems to work fine. Am I
> risking jail time or anything else awful?

I believe the only likely penalty is an inability to use the Microsoft
update service.

> I assume I cannot
> return the Win8 set to Best Buy and buy the 'right' set.

Might be worth a try, on the basis that what they sold you was not suitable
for the purpose you told them it was for.  As Peter pointed out, they have a
strict policy against accepting opened software returns, but your state may
have consumer protection laws that trump their return policy.  And a lot of
times, if you are persistent enough, the store manager will approve returns
that don't necessarily meet policy.  Expect to spend several hours there
though, and decide in advance what that is worth to you.

Probably easier to accept Peter's offer of something to upgrade from.

FWIW, the UBCD worked well for me, but was incredibly slow.  I wanted to
shrink a 750 Gb partition to create a new 10 Gb partition, and it took
several _days_ to do the shrink.  Would have been quicker to just copy the
old partition to an external drive, wipe out the internal, and copy the data
back (especially since there was only 50 Gb or so on the partition).

-- Randall