Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:40:12 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On 3/18/2013 7:01 AM, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
> I think people are confusing terms here.  The transponder keys are just
> normal keys that you put into the ignition.  They are separate from the
> keyless entry feature in your car.  They have an added security feature
> that requires a transponder chip to be near the ignition before the car
> will be allowed to start.

Which brings us back to my original post.

I have spent some more time with Google and reading your posts (thanks
for the responses) and think I have it figured out.  First of all, yes,
I am just concerned with the keys, not the keyless entry fob.

The transponder keys apparently have one of various types of RFID chip
embedded in them.  The car is programmed to recognize that particular
chip and won't start if the chip is not accompanying the key.  You can
get a plain mechanical key that will unlock the door, but it won't start
the car without the chip embedded in it.

According to Subaru you can only program the car to recognize four
keys.  They get about $150 for a new key.  I talked to a locksmith
today, and they can "clone" one of my existing keys for about $75 or so,
and since it's a clone, the car shouldn't know the difference and it
won't "count" against the total of four.

Since RFID chips are cheap and very common, I can only assume the
dealers charge so much to for the keys and programming just because they
can make a lot of money on it.  The locksmiths are doing OK, too, as it
looks like the wholesale price on clone keys is about $25 or so.

In the short term I am just going to get a plain flat mechanical key for
my wallet in case I lock the keys in the car.

Thanks again.