[Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:57:28 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/20/2013 11:57:40, Serialize complete at 09/20/2013 11:57:40
OK, here is my situation..

I need to install 240v lines for 2 devices across the shop.  Since this is
over 50' and these are 40 amp circuits, I was wondering if there was a way
that I could save on the wire costs.

The 2 devices are an outlet for welder/plasma cutter.  It will be RARELY
used (only if I need to weld or cut something outside the shop.)
The other device is a electric car charger.  It's a 240v 20 amp circuit (I
didn't think that the amps were correct, but it is.)  This will be used
nightly.
They will never be used at the same time.

Here is what I was thinking of doing...

Just running a 240/40 amp outlet to the point I need it, then put a plug
on the car charger and leave it plugged in.  Just unplug it when I need to
use the welder.

But, I was wondering if there was a way to hardwire the charger and have
the plug open normally.  Is there any safety concern if I did this?

BTW, for those that may be looking for an electric car, I did major
amounts of research and extended test drives (with metrics) on three of
them (Smartcar electric, Leaf, Volt.).  I went with the Chevy Volt because
it was best for my needs (but might not be best for yours).  If anyone is
considering one of these cars, let me know and I can send you my findings.

If you are spending more than $200 a month of fuel, and you work less than
30 miles away from your home, these could SAVE you money each month!

I have no interest  in any of them, nor do I work for any of these firms.
I'm just pretty good at math and it made sense to me!

Eric P
Waldo Emerson