Re: [Shop-talk] Nibbler

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nibbler
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 09:48:04 -0600
Oh, installing a forced-air furnace and A/C is no problem at all - and I
agree it's a simple enough job in most cases.  I installed a complete system
(after removing an oil-converted octopus (gravity) furnace in our old house
in 1980.  All new ductwork, etc.  And I'm certified for Freon.  I'm not
concerned about doing the job myself - though whether or not I actually do
this one myself is not at all certain.  I have time in the winter, when
there's no way to remove a furnace for days.  In the nice months I tend to
work 6-7 days a week.

The issues here are more related to the physical limitations of the house's
layout, tight furnace room, almost no access to the Zonolite-contaminated
attic, no basement, and on and on.  When I get into it further, I'll likely
ask lots of questions.

Meanwhile, if anyone here is a current HVAC tech, I'd really appreciate a
post offline to tell me about the state of the art in variable-firing and
DC-fan systems.  Our 142-year-old, (uninsulated balloon frame walls) 2-story
house would benefit from a constant flow of air to avoid stratification and
alleviate some of the drafts I still haven't tracked down.  I last looked
into such units quite a few years ago and at that time they were brand new
and reliability of variable-speed blower motors and controls was
questionable, so I elected to wait a few years.  Ads today give me the
impression that there's much more variability available in firing rates, and
10-year warranties make me believe that DC blower motors must live longer
lives now.

Also, if I can get the condensate pan sealed with POR-15 putty or something
(max temp at the pan is only 125 degrees), I'll hold off for another few
years.

Thanks!
Karl