Re: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:56:56 -0400
References: <53D55C36.9040006@bradakis.com> s=q20140121; t=1406570216; bh=vOZtQ5mT5/tnW3KzZI4EZIzWYR5Mc86+vyM2fGRsoeo=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=MnUrjyTqAxvMUUT7kHGqR4RhD8om8PzYpG0hYhr74qVOIW0sHFrMUbIsIeHcmBiil ix6UlFpqKZ4h9VSZsCAaHL+bNSgU85Ex7pcJeMxCf7518WsrNTDzMgE9ZKjLSNopxX uLhpoSdid38Hh7e5s5KJwt1Ci940073BYfHCj97jdtgNwsT/if7X8k54HLOsFSwlRn zimXfdjbP/ZLBpsTJ3CXmSb4dMoEoUl3BF0WHsqiawdctxZSXhdsn6RsU0ySAGasVI l9MQXgB7Lb0KPvYOS10lL2MbY8oJoyFIh5tCw8mgHgcGqtrN0OprCtNUbrA77TCnrX 4mwFXQIFs6Q1Q==
On 7/27/2014 4:08 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> It is hot here in Salt Lake. I got a small fan for my office to help
> keep me cool.
> I plugged it into one of the non-backup outlets on the UPS that powers
> the Team.Net
> server. Now when I turn the little fan off or on, the UPS beeps a few
> times. Interesting.
>
> It could be a sign that I need to replace the UPS soon. Maybe time for
> a mini fund drive?
> I have also heard that one can increase the capacity by wiring normal
> 12 volt car, motorcycle,
> lawn tractor, etc. batteries into the circuit. Anyone have any
> experience doing so?
You want a deep cycle battery, like a golf cart battery.  Auto batteries
that provide a short burst of very high amperage to turn a starter.
They are not designed for continuous high amperage draw and will fail
when used for backup power.  The plates in a starter battery are thinner
than a deep cycle battery and more of them. This is too provide a larger
surface area for chemical reaction. The heat build up from continuous
higher amperage draw can warp the plates and cause shorts.