Re: [Shop-talk] Toggle switch covers

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toggle switch covers
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:41:01 -0500
I have seen flip-up guards (really weather protection) for outdoor power
outlets, but they were horizontal and may have been integral to the outlet
box. Maybe they exist for vertically mounted toggles?

jim

On Dec 19, 2014, at 12:57 AM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:

> I'm a high school shop teacher, both wood and metal.  Each shop several
emergency stop switches connected to a shunt trip which trips the main breaker
in case of emergency.  In most shops these are big red mushroom head switches,
but when they built my school nearly 30 years ago they ran out of money and so
my E-stop switches are center off SPDT toggle switches.  Moving them either up
or down from center will trip the shunt trip.  The problem is most of them
have lost their covers, and they are easy to bump and trip.  Toggle switch
covers are pretty easy to find, but so far everything I've seen is for single
pole switches and the cover forces the switch in the off position (or in the
"on" position if you install the switch upside down).  Does anyone know of any
toggle switch covers that just cover the switch and don't force the  switch
into any position?