Re: [Shop-talk] 5x8 trailer decking ideas?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 5x8 trailer decking ideas?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:08:23 -0400
On Apr 24, 2015, at 4:48 PM, David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> 5X8 and 5X10 are standard sizes for BS1066 marine plywood.  They'll
> cost more (maybe much more), than the equivalent area in 4X8 sheets.
> If carrying the bikes is the only reason for upgrading, I'd think hard
> about a solution that just adds the support for the bikes.

This is the trailer. The mesh floor is barely strong enough to support me,
plus it lets in all the road spray/debris/etc. I'm at the very least going to
cover it with CDX, if I don't find anything better, since I also use it to
haul misc stuff, which right now requires a lot of "position engineering" so
the weight is on the crossmembers.

Your suggestion had me look at a few marine forums, and people asking the same
question were told to laminate their own from 3/8" (or pay big bucks). I'm not
near enough to the water to make it worth a trip anyway.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/carry-on-trailerreg%3B-5-ft-w-x-8-ft-l-
specialty-single-axle-trailer-1500-lb-payload-capacity

jim