Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for a pilot light wall switch.

To: <eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for a pilot light wall switch.
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 08:25:26 -0700
> I bought this switch...
>

> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-Heavy-Duty-Gr
ade-15-Amp-Combination-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-and-Pilot->
Light-White-277W-BOX/203492444<

> And I need to wire it up.  The direcitons say that it can not
> be used as a
> replacement switch for a standard '2 wire' wall switc

I'm confused.  Does it not have two terminals for the switch, and two for the
light?  The description says it can be wired to
indicate either circuit on or circuit off.  To indicate circuit on, just
connect one light terminal to the load circuit, and the
other to neutral.

If you don't have a neutral in the switch box, then you need to run one.
However, I won't tell anyone if you use the safety ground,
even though that would be a violation of code.  A neon bulb doesn't draw enough
current to argue about (or even trip a GFCI).

-- Randall