Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for a pilot light wall switch.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for a pilot light wall switch.
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 11:12:19 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 05/02/2015 11:11:59, Serialize complete at 05/02/2015 11:11:59
Cc: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
I'm sorry, the link is one that is slightly different then the one I have.
 The one I have has 3 terminals.  but it states in bold letters in the
directions (but nowhere on the package) that this switch can not be used
to replace a two wire switch.  There is a "common",  two "Loads" Labeled
"A1" and "B1".

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
Waldo Emerson

RE: [Shop-talk] Wiring for a pilot light wall switch.

Randall
to:
eric, shop-talk
05/02/2015 11:05 AM

From:
"Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>

To:
<eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>

> I bought this switch...
>

> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Wiring-Devices-Heavy-Duty-Gr
ade-15-Amp-Combination-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-and-Pilot->
Light-White-277W-BOX/203492444<

> And I need to wire it up.  The direcitons say that it can not
> be used as a
> replacement switch for a standard '2 wire' wall switc

I'm confused.  Does it not have two terminals for the switch, and two for
the light?  The description says it can be wired to
indicate either circuit on or circuit off.  To indicate circuit on, just
connect one light terminal to the load circuit, and the
other to neutral.

If you don't have a neutral in the switch box, then you need to run one.
However, I won't tell anyone if you use the safety ground,
even though that would be a violation of code.  A neon bulb doesn't draw
enough current to argue about (or even trip a GFCI).

-- Randall