Re: [Shop-talk] Ever sell off all your tools?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ever sell off all your tools?
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:02:18 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
From: 4 bedroom 4000 sqft house, 3 bay garage and 22 x 16' shop with 80
gallon air, etc.
To:  Manhattan apartment
I gave/sold a bunch of stuff to local friends, but the bulk of it went to
my inlaws farm (they have tons of space, out-buildings, etc.)
It's at once nice to not have to worry about anything...while also
constantly telling myself if I had [this tool] I could fix that rather than
pay someone a small fortune or wait for an HOA/building person to do it
(usually not to my satisfaction).

THEN, we got pregnant with twins and moved to the suburbs (circle of
life?).  I gradually moved things from the farm to the new house and bought
some new tools, but the exercise has made me rationalize many purchases and
curb my packrat nature (e.g., I get by with a pancake compressor instead of
an 80 gal with hardlines).  Our latest house does have a 20 x 40' woodshop
setup by the PO, so it's temping to fill it back up.

The wife and I saw the perks of boro/city living and will be going back to
that when the boys graduate high school, so we say (we'll be in our 50s).
A friend of mine has a nice compromise, he lives in a condo, but is a
volunteer firefighter and has access to a really nice shop/tools at the
station--not a bad compromise.

-Ian