Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:07:52 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_0CXgHN4LwRDanLKj32xmdA)

Eric,

 From what Dr. Google tells me, studded snow tires are allowed in
North Carolina without restriction.  Snow tires will be better than
all season tires, but a little rougher riding and a little
noisier.  Probably not a big problem in a truck.  They will also wear
out faster than all season tires.  Studs will improve performance on
ice, but will be another step noisier and rougher.  Chains will be
lots noisier and rougher, and only appropriate while roads are snow
covered.  You will have to put them on and take them off for each
storm.  Too bad your truck isn't four wheel drive.  My four wheel
drive suburban gets me through anything here in NY.

-Steve

At 11:43 AM 1/19/2016, Eric J Russell wrote:
>We get the occasional snow/ice storm here in NC. NC doesn't
>plow/sand much - they just wait for it to melt a day or two later.
>However, being an ER nurse, I have to drive in it before Mother
>Nature takes care of it. I have an F250, rear wheel drive with LSD.
>I can usually get around with its "all season' tires. But when we
>get ice covered with snow it gets very difficult. I do keep a few
>bags of sand in the bed.
>
>I am considering either real snow tires (I doubt studs are available
>or allowed) *or* chains.
><http://www.etrailer.com/chains-1999_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?furl=-c2-235%7C85~16>http://www.etrailer.com/chains-1999_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?furl=-c2-235%7C85~16
>

>What say ye, learned shop-talkers?
>
>Eric Russell
>Mebane, NC

--Boundary_(ID_0CXgHN4LwRDanLKj32xmdA)

Eric, <br><br>
 From what Dr. Google tells me, studded snow tires are allowed in North
Carolina without restriction.&nbsp; Snow tires will be better than all
season tires, but a little rougher riding and a little noisier.&nbsp;
Probably not a big problem in a truck.&nbsp; They will also wear out
faster than all season tires.&nbsp; Studs will improve performance on
ice, but will be another step noisier and rougher.&nbsp; Chains will be
lots noisier and rougher, and only appropriate while roads are snow
covered.&nbsp; You will have to put them on and take them off for each
storm.&nbsp; Too bad your truck isn't four wheel drive.&nbsp; My four
wheel drive suburban gets me through anything here in NY.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 11:43 AM 1/19/2016, Eric J Russell wrote:<br>
occasional snow/ice storm here in NC. NC doesn't plow/sand much - they
just wait for it to melt a day or two later. However, being an ER nurse,
I have to drive in it before Mother Nature takes care of it. I have an
F250, rear wheel drive with LSD. I can usually get around with its
&quot;all season' tires. But when we get ice covered with snow it gets
very difficult. I do keep a few bags of sand in the bed. <br>
available or allowed) *or* chains. <br>
<a
href="http://www.etrailer.com/chains-1999_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?furl=-c2-235%7C85~16";>
http://www.etrailer.com/chains-1999_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?furl=-c2-235%7C85~16</a>

--Boundary_(ID_0CXgHN4LwRDanLKj32xmdA)--

--===============7543744331603740488==

--===============7543744331603740488==--