Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:31:36 -0800
> I am considering either real snow tires (I doubt studs are
> available or allowed) *or* chains.

IMO chains are a lot more hassle.  As noted, you really should run them only
when you are actually driving on snow, which can mean
removing and installing several times per season.  But at the same time, they
are a lot more effective than snow tires even with
studs.

If I had to choose only one, and I had to get there in any kind of weather, I'd
pick chains.  But if you routinely have to drive to
work on unplowed roads, IMO it's a false economy not to get snow tires *and*
chains.  Leave the tires on for the season, and carry
the chains for when it gets really bad (like frozen rain topped with snow).

-- Randall