Re: [Shop-talk] Looking to automate fan with remote pressure pad switch

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking to automate fan with remote pressure pad switch
From: Steve Dillen via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 17:53:55 -0800

--------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118

I went with Samsung's "smartthings" for automation.  I have it tied into
IFTTT (www.ifttt.com) for some notification/automation, but in short:

I have a motion sensor in my shop (battery powered) which has automation
tied to it such that motion causes a outlet control to turn on for 60
minutes.  No motion for 60 minutes causes outlet to turn off which shuts
off lighting, the stereo and such things as cordless battery chargers.
I have another room with a door contact (magnet, battery powered) that
is automated to turn on a light bulb (smart-bulb from Ikea).  Bulb turns
off as door is closed or when it has been on for 10 minutes (in case
door is left open).  All in, I may have spent $250 on parts and my phone
tells me when things happen.  Smartthing outlet looks like a "wall wart".

I have been finding that my shop light gets triggered when my dog (sort
of dog...more like hamster that barks) runs through the shop...and I
suspect it has been triggering when small woodland creatures run through
as well, so cat sized creatures should not be an issue to trigger.  The
motion sensor is about 2" square and runs on a button cell, 4 months so
far and is now at 30% battery life remaining.

Steve Dillen

On 2019-02-07 9:40 a.m., Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via
Shop-talk wrote:
> Iâ??m looking to remotely control an existing fan.
> The fan is currently manually controlled by a
> normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.  Iâ??m looking
> for hardware that can replace the existing switch
> and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable)
> length of time.  The new timer hardware would be wirelessly
> controlled by a remote pressure pad.
> Hereâ??s the scenario:
> Cat comes into the laundry room (where the cat box is
> located) and enters the cat box.  The pressure pad would
> be outside the cat box entry and the cat would activate the
> pressure switch in the entry pad and a wireless signal would
> be transmitted to the 110V power switch located in the existing
> wall mounted gang box.  In my case, the entry pad is very near an
> existing outlet, so it could be 110V. The fan would automatically
> come on for a pre-determined amount of time, then automatically
> turn off.The cat exiting the cat box would have no affect on the fan
> since itâ??s already running.
> Any clever ideas from our Shop-Talk members?  The assembly of
> everything involved would take place in the shop, so the mandatory
> shop application is thereby satisfied.
> Thanks.
> Steve Hammatt
> Mount Vernon WA USA
> www.leatherplates.com

--------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118

  <head>
  </head>
      tied into IFTTT (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.ifttt.com";>www.ifttt.com</a>) for some notification/automation,
      but in short:</p>
      automation tied to it such that motion causes a outlet control to
      turn on for 60 minutes.  No motion for 60 minutes causes outlet to
      turn off which shuts off lighting, the stereo and such things as
      cordless battery chargers.  I have another room with a door
      contact (magnet, battery powered) that is automated to turn on a
      light bulb (smart-bulb from Ikea).  Bulb turns off as door is
      closed or when it has been on for 10 minutes (in case door is left
      open).  All in, I may have spent $250 on parts and my phone tells
      me when things happen.  Smartthing outlet looks like a "wall
      wart".  <br>
      (sort of dog...more like hamster that barks) runs through the
      shop...and I suspect it has been triggering when small woodland
      creatures run through as well, so cat sized creatures should not
      be an issue to trigger.  The motion sensor is about 2" square and
      runs on a button cell, 4 months so far and is now at 30% battery
      life remaining.<br>
      Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:90414FD31C5E4280B6FAC7E4050A8844@DESKTOPTOA1F5G">
          #000000">
            wirelessly </div>
            the </div>