[Shop-talk] Footings and piers for decks

To: Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Footings and piers for decks
From: Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 14:13:18 -0400
Having decided it's better to build a nice ornate deck out of PT than a small
simple deck of of fancy materials, I'm looking at the foundation. Frost line
here is 48" and I need 18" footings. I have found 3 options and I'm wondering
if I missed anything:

1. Traditional concrete with forms and sonotubes
2. Pre-cast footings (22", 100 lbs)  and stackable piers (EZ-Tube)
3. Helical piles

I haven't heard back from the town on that last one and they're the priciest at
$275 per. The pre-cast are $150 per. Concrete will require hauling about 45,000
bags into the backyard.

I'm leaning towards #2 . I don't own any yard equipment but I can rent a skid
steer with auger, though not a 24" auger I don't think.

thanks,
jim