Re: [Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] multimeter recommendations
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 21:12:36 -0400

--0000000000001dc8de05ad6d0dba

" What are folks out there using that you would recommend?"

How accurate do you want to be?  The HF is fine for letting you know if
there's voltage available or not.  Most people don't use that kind of meter
to measure current - most people don't measure current at all.

I love my collection of Fluke meters at work.  But I am fully aware that
they are overkill for checking batteries at home.  I got a clone from Radio
Shack for $20 about 20 years ago and it works great.  But it's overkill,
too.

Chances are, whatever's in your budget is right for you.  It may not become
an heirloom, though.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:24 PM Tom Coradeschi <tjcora@icloud.com> wrote:

> Good evening, all. So, my trusty craftsman multimeter has decided to give
> up the ghost and I=E2=80=99m seeking insights on what I might replace it =
with.

> Looked at the Fluke website, and reminded myself why I bought the
> craftsman in the first place. Not saying the Fluke stuff isn=E2=80=99t ro=
ck solid,
> but value for the dollar spent when you=E2=80=99re a casual user really i=
sn=E2=80=99t
> there. Applications are home and automotive in nature.
>
> Basic functionality:
> AC/DC voltage, resistance/continuity are must haves
> thermocouple inputs are a highly rated nice to have
> Autoranging is also a must have
>
> What are folks out there using that you would recommend?
>
> Thanks.
>
> =E2=80=94
> Tom Coradeschi
> tjcora@icloud.com

--0000000000001dc8de05ad6d0dba

 you know if there&#39;s voltage available or not.=C2=A0 Most people don&#3=
9;t use that kind of meter to measure current - most people don&#39;t measu=
re current at all.<br><br>I love my collection of Fluke meters at work.=C2=
=A0 But I am fully aware that they are overkill for checking batteries at h=
ome.=C2=A0 I got a clone from Radio Shack for $20 about 20 years ago and it=
 works great.=C2=A0 But it&#39;s overkill, too.<br><br>Chances are, whateve=
r&#39;s in your budget is right for you.=C2=A0 It may not become an heirloo=
=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:24 PM Tom Coradeschi &lt;<a href=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-lef=
t:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Good evening, all. So, my tr=
usty craftsman multimeter has decided to give up the ghost and I=E2=80=99m =
seeking insights on what I might replace it with.<br>
Looked at the Fluke website, and reminded myself why I bought the craftsman=
 in the first place. Not saying the Fluke stuff isn=E2=80=99t rock solid, b=
ut value for the dollar spent when you=E2=80=99re a casual user really isn=
=E2=80=99t there. Applications are home and automotive in nature.<br>
Basic functionality:<br>
AC/DC voltage, resistance/continuity are must haves<br>
thermocouple inputs are a highly rated nice to have<br>
Autoranging is also a must have<br>
What are folks out there using that you would recommend?<br>
Thanks.<br>
=E2=80=94<br>
Tom Coradeschi<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>