Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 22:37:12 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=eeg8ehKwbtlg7JZvSmy03vK6nuURqLm6b0qCxOLQJ7KaZoD0s1fvtqJSo5jCTsqY14m8ODDVeTDf5J/c1lHgOUvhEWfDkMj9gxR5PUuq9SuL1l47DDSiJv2+DIGMHoU/AaN7r36fsR/rBef4O4IqS/Y049+PfX6X4f4+Wdt78TFmmtNrQa1K8akDGeG0snGqnJp06W/Y4LQifvajRZBti0OrQKTQZifMZLxaaymmYIHt8fz72/ZZQ2cw1zt3Dc7GggRboxjuzDi1btK0u4dTk7HjMi2CK47rDy7q0wwk7XzClMkDPMUHHKrmSI2d6Cuu0Xncz468wf9h9pJiIpXlUQ==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------BA896469F88444601077A0B1

I like the LED headlamps and have two, but don't find current listings
for either.  One made by Defiant was a special buy of the day at
HomeDepot.com for $14 several years ago.  It has a regular setting and a
bright setting if you press and hold the button.  IN addition to the
strap around your head, it has a strap over the top of your head.  I
find this helpful when sweating as the light doesn't shift.

My second light is from Coast.  The white LEDs have three settings. It
also has red LEDs for night vision.  It is smaller and lighter than the
Defiant.  It is also tough to remember which button is the white light
and which is the red.  Search "Coast headlamp" at the orange box.  Mine
is similar to this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-FL65-400-Lumen-Dual-Color-LED-Headlamp-FL65/301698008

Both seem fine for under the house or up in the attic, though I have no
clue as to their actual lumen rating.

I saw the three pack at Costco.  If I didn't have two already, I would
have been tempted, though I've also been disappointed as I don't think
the Costco tool/shop buyers are actually tool people and quality can be
lacking at times.  With Costco's return policy, you can always try their
product and bring it back if you don't like it.  Give the 4.7/5 star
rating with 468 reviews, it is may be a decent option.

https://www.costco.com/duracell-550-lumen-3-pack-headlamp.product.100681259.html

Brian

On 3/15/2021 9:29 PM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> Listers,
>
> After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was
> probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a /good/
> headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never seem
> to put out enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or in the
> grease pit. I see people using them on the tube, and they seem to
> work, but the two I have--both powered by a couple AAAs--aren't even
> as powerful as the cheap flashlights Harbor Freight gives away (which
> work a couple times then quit). After checking the Brazilian
> river/rainforest and a few review sites it seems they are all over the
> map, from $10/ea to over $100! The lumen ratings seem a bit suspicious
> too, with some Duracell brand Costco has on sale for a 3-pack rated at
> 550ea, and at least some claiming over 1,100 (for a few seconds
> bursts, anyway). Can anyone recommend one that actually lasts enough
> to find the bolt that fell down between the block and wheel well, and
> stays in place on your head?
>
> TIA,
> Bob

--------------BA896469F88444601077A0B1

  <head>
  </head>
    I like the LED headlamps and have two, but don't find current
    listings for either.  One made by Defiant was a special buy of the
    day at HomeDepot.com for $14 several years ago.  It has a regular
    setting and a bright setting if you press and hold the button.  IN
    addition to the strap around your head, it has a strap over the top
    of your head.  I find this helpful when sweating as the light
    doesn't shift.<br>
    My second light is from Coast.  The white LEDs have three settings.
    It also has red LEDs for night vision.  It is smaller and lighter
    than the Defiant.  It is also tough to remember which button is the
    white light and which is the red.  Search "Coast headlamp" at the
    orange box.  Mine is similar to this one:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-FL65-400-Lumen-Dual-Color-LED-Headlamp-FL65/301698008";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-FL65-400-Lumen-Dual-Color-LED-Headlamp-FL65/301698008</a><br>
    Both seem fine for under the house or up in the attic, though I have
    no clue as to their actual lumen rating.<br>
    I saw the three pack at Costco.  If I didn't have two already, I
    would have been tempted, though I've also been disappointed as I
    don't think the Costco tool/shop buyers are actually tool people and
    quality can be lacking at times.  With Costco's return policy, you
    can always try their product and bring it back if you don't like
    it.  Give the 4.7/5 star rating with 468 reviews, it is may be a
    decent option.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.costco.com/duracell-550-lumen-3-pack-headlamp.product.100681259.html";>https://www.costco.com/duracell-550-lumen-3-pack-headlamp.product.100681259.html</a><br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:d85272c7-62fb-aa54-643d-fdd7966217dc@comcast.net">
      Listers,<br>
      After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was
      probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a <i>good</i>
      headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never
      seem to put out enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or
      in the grease pit. I see people using them on the tube, and they
      seem to work, but the two I have--both powered by a couple
      AAAs--aren't even as powerful as the cheap flashlights Harbor
      Freight gives away (which work a couple times then quit). After
      checking the Brazilian river/rainforest and a few review sites it
      seems they are all over the map, from $10/ea to over $100! The
      lumen ratings seem a bit suspicious too, with some Duracell brand
      Costco has on sale for a 3-pack rated at 550ea, and at least some
      claiming over 1,100 (for a few seconds bursts, anyway). Can anyone
      recommend one that actually lasts enough to find the bolt that
      fell down between the block and wheel well, and stays in place on
      your head?<br>
      TIA,<br>
      Bob<br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"