Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 06:39:29 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c1095f05bdb919ad

I've used this Coast headlamp for years.  Bought several for work and found
them very useful, so I bought several for home.  I only had one failure,
which may have been my fault.

https://www.amazon.com/HL5-Utility-Headlamp-Adjustment-Compatibility/dp/B007ED3JWM

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 04:09 Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've had many headlamps over the past decade or so.  My current setup
> is Coast.  I've had the one Brian posted about - at least I think I
> have because Coast doesn't mark the product number on them
> anywhere.  And believe me, I looked when I wanted another one a few weeks
> ago.
>
> Anyway, get these instead:
> https://coastportland.com/products/fl84-2-pack  It's a pair of the
> new version of that headlamp for $35.  "COAST20" is their near
> continuous 20% code.  I got them last week and they're great.  The
> button is an improvement over the old style -  more defined
> click.  The twist knob switches from spot to flood easily and without
> a 'hot spot'.  The only downside for me is that you have to click
> through all 3 settings to get to off.  Most lights will lock the
> level after a few seconds so that the next press goes directly to
> off.  I wrote a "W" and an "R" on the buttons in Sharpie and after
> glancing at them a few (hundred! ) times, I now know the buttons by
> heart.  :)   It uses 3 AAA batteries instead of a rechargeable, yeah,
> normal batteries, boo having to open the lid and swap in cells.  3
> spare batteries are cheaper than an extra headlamp to keep on hand
> when it starts to dim so I live with it.   The headband isn't
> siliconized, so if you put it on a hardhat, you'll need to use clips,
> which they include.  Now that I've bought another pair, they'll
> probably do siliconized headbands for Christmas this year.   Anyway,
> great little lights.  Can't go wrong.
>

> At 03/16/2021 at 00:29, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Bob Spidell's
> keyboard and said:
> >Listers,
> >
> >After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was
> >probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a good
> >headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never seem
> >to put out enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or in the
> >grease pit. I see people using them on the tube, and they seem to
> >work, but the two I have--both powered by a couple AAAs--aren't even
> >as powerful as the cheap flashlights Harbor Freight gives away
> >(which work a couple times then quit). After checking the Brazilian
> >river/rainforest and a few review sites it seems they are all over
> >the map, from $10/ea to over $100! The lumen ratings seem a bit
> >suspicious too, with some Duracell brand Costco has on sale for a
> >3-pack rated at 550ea, and at least some claiming over 1,100 (for a
> >few seconds bursts, anyway). Can anyone recommend one that actually
> >lasts enough to find the bolt that fell down between the block and
> >wheel well, and stays in place on your head?
> >
> >TIA,
> >Bob
>

> Cheers!

--000000000000c1095f05bdb919ad

 several for work and found them very useful, so I bought several for home.=
=C2=A0 I only had one failure, which may have been my fault.<div dir=3D"aut=
y-Headlamp-Adjustment-Compatibility/dp/B007ED3JWM">https://www.amazon.com/H=
L5-Utility-Headlamp-Adjustment-Compatibility/dp/B007ED3JWM</a><br><div dir=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 04:09 Richard Beels &lt;<a =
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
I&#39;ve had many headlamps over the past decade or so.=C2=A0 My current se=
tup <br>
is Coast.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve had the one Brian posted about - at least I think =
I <br>
have because Coast doesn&#39;t mark the product number on them <br>
anywhere.=C2=A0 And believe me, I looked when I wanted another one a few we=
eks ago.<br>
Anyway, get these instead: <br>
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://coastportland.com/products/fl84-2-p=
ack</a>=C2=A0 It&#39;s a pair of the <br>
new version of that headlamp for $35.=C2=A0 &quot;COAST20&quot; is their ne=
ar <br>
continuous 20% code.=C2=A0 I got them last week and they&#39;re great.=C2=
=A0 The <br>
button is an improvement over the old style -=C2=A0 more defined <br>
click.=C2=A0 The twist knob switches from spot to flood easily and without =
a &#39;hot spot&#39;.=C2=A0 The only downside for me is that you have to cl=
ick <br>
through all 3 settings to get to off.=C2=A0 Most lights will lock the <br>
level after a few seconds so that the next press goes directly to <br>
off.=C2=A0 I wrote a &quot;W&quot; and an &quot;R&quot; on the buttons in S=
harpie and after <br>
glancing at them a few (hundred! ) times, I now know the buttons by <br>
heart.=C2=A0 :)=C2=A0 =C2=A0It uses 3 AAA batteries instead of a rechargeab=
le, yeah, <br>
normal batteries, boo having to open the lid and swap in cells.=C2=A0 3 <br=

spare batteries are cheaper than an extra headlamp to keep on hand <br>
when it starts to dim so I live with it.=C2=A0 =C2=A0The headband isn&#39;t=
siliconized, so if you put it on a hardhat, you&#39;ll need to use clips, <=
br>
which they include.=C2=A0 Now that I&#39;ve bought another pair, they&#39;l=
l <br>
probably do siliconized headbands for Christmas this year.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Anyw=
ay, <br>
great little lights.=C2=A0 Can&#39;t go wrong.<br>
At 03/16/2021 at 00:29, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Bob Spidell&#39;s <=
br>
keyboard and said:<br>
&gt;Listers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was <br>
&gt;probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a good <br>
&gt;headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never seem <b=
r>
&gt;to put out enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or in the <b=
r>
&gt;grease pit. I see people using them on the tube, and they seem to <br>
&gt;work, but the two I have--both powered by a couple AAAs--aren&#39;t eve=
n <br>
&gt;as powerful as the cheap flashlights Harbor Freight gives away <br>
&gt;(which work a couple times then quit). After checking the Brazilian <br=

&gt;river/rainforest and a few review sites it seems they are all over <br>
&gt;the map, from $10/ea to over $100! The lumen ratings seem a bit <br>
&gt;suspicious too, with some Duracell brand Costco has on sale for a <br>
&gt;3-pack rated at 550ea, and at least some claiming over 1,100 (for a <br=

&gt;few seconds bursts, anyway). Can anyone recommend one that actually <br=

&gt;lasts enough to find the bolt that fell down between the block and <br>
&gt;wheel well, and stays in place on your head?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;TIA,<br>
&gt;Bob<br>
Cheers!<br>