Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LED Headlamps
From: Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 04:06:56 -0400
I've had many headlamps over the past decade or so.  My current setup
is Coast.  I've had the one Brian posted about - at least I think I
have because Coast doesn't mark the product number on them
anywhere.  And believe me, I looked when I wanted another one a few weeks ago.

Anyway, get these instead:
https://coastportland.com/products/fl84-2-pack  It's a pair of the
new version of that headlamp for $35.  "COAST20" is their near
continuous 20% code.  I got them last week and they're great.  The
button is an improvement over the old style -  more defined
click.  The twist knob switches from spot to flood easily and without
a 'hot spot'.  The only downside for me is that you have to click
through all 3 settings to get to off.  Most lights will lock the
level after a few seconds so that the next press goes directly to
off.  I wrote a "W" and an "R" on the buttons in Sharpie and after
glancing at them a few (hundred! ) times, I now know the buttons by
heart.  :)   It uses 3 AAA batteries instead of a rechargeable, yeah,
normal batteries, boo having to open the lid and swap in cells.  3
spare batteries are cheaper than an extra headlamp to keep on hand
when it starts to dim so I live with it.   The headband isn't
siliconized, so if you put it on a hardhat, you'll need to use clips,
which they include.  Now that I've bought another pair, they'll
probably do siliconized headbands for Christmas this year.   Anyway,
great little lights.  Can't go wrong.

At 03/16/2021 at 00:29, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Bob Spidell's
keyboard and said:
>Listers,
>
>After realizing that holding a small flashlight with my teeth was
>probably a bad idea (and painful), I decided I needed a good
>headband flashlight. I have a couple cheap ones, but they never seem
>to put out enough light for working on cars in a dark shop or in the
>grease pit. I see people using them on the tube, and they seem to
>work, but the two I have--both powered by a couple AAAs--aren't even
>as powerful as the cheap flashlights Harbor Freight gives away
>(which work a couple times then quit). After checking the Brazilian
>river/rainforest and a few review sites it seems they are all over
>the map, from $10/ea to over $100! The lumen ratings seem a bit
>suspicious too, with some Duracell brand Costco has on sale for a
>3-pack rated at 550ea, and at least some claiming over 1,100 (for a
>few seconds bursts, anyway). Can anyone recommend one that actually
>lasts enough to find the bolt that fell down between the block and
>wheel well, and stays in place on your head?
>
>TIA,
>Bob

Cheers!