Re: 1970 Spitfire rear "plinth"

To: "Alan Storey" <astorey@magni.berry.edu>
Subject: Re: 1970 Spitfire rear "plinth"
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 06:48:30 -0800
>If they aren't available, has anyone ever tried to make small rubber
>parts like this with one of the rubber moulding kits sold by Eastwood?
***********************************
Alan,
I have made these for my GT6.   The 70 uses unique (slightly larger) ones
(as well as the 70 Spitfire).  I  had one good one and used this to make
the mold.  I made 4 molds out of plaster (the GT uses four of these) and
they came out perfectly.  I broke the molds to remove.  The only difference
from the factory originals is they have a slight concave surface where the
plinth meets the body, but it's so gradual, and if you pour carefully you
can almost duplicate it.  I had thought of making an aluminum mold so I
could make many parts, and possibly sell them, but at the time I didn't
have the large lathe I have now.  It's a fairly simple mold and I'm
surprised that at least one of the 'Big Three' haven't tooled up for this
part - apparently they don't feel there is a demand.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)