Re: Ammeter

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ammeter
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:32:33 +0000
There is another type of ammeter, it uses a shunt resistor, and a high
impedence voltmeter calibrated in amps.  Work out the voltage drop in
the shunt, you have the figure in amps.  You could even wire one up to
mesure the current draw from the starter.  This shunt can be wired
anywhere you want to messure the current, then you have two low current
wires going to your voltmeter.

I would have three gadges in my car, +- 30 amps for battery charge,
voltage, and +60 amps for the altinator output.   Then all you need to
do is to work out what they are telling you.

What I would like to see as a gimic is a voltmeter for the ignition coil
spark voltage.

PS.. I have already used the two spare meeter places for OIL pressure,
and a Vacume.
The OIL is a must, then I would probebly choose a voltemeter.  In that
you can work out if its capable of charging the battery from the
voltage.  You can also tell the load from the voltage.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot