RE: Ammeter

To: "'DANMAS@aol.com'" <DANMAS@aol.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Ammeter
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:37:31 -0500
        Dan,

        As an  electrical engineer I have to question your assertion that
voltmeters are "thermal devices".  I think what you're referring to was an
earlier thread that stated that the older Smiths dash guages were thermal
devices (as a way to average out the readings)  as a way to keep them from
jumping around as the car ran down the road.

        Most mechanical guages and meters are driven by electromagnetic
force, not thermal.  I have plenty of (non-Smith's) electrical guages
(including voltmeters)  that are VERRRRY quick to respond to changes!

        My .02

        Jim