Re: Spit safety question...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit safety question...
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:00:23 EDT
A "modern" car is actually designed to be destroyed in an accident.  The front
and rear of the car are intended to smash in and act as a giant shock absorber
thus sacrificing the car and saving the people.  This is called the crumple
zone for obvious reasons.  Older cars were built with the idea that the more
rigid the car is, the safer it would be.  Hey, if the car survived, so would
the people.  In fact what happens is the car comes to a very sudden stop (no
shock absorption) and the passengers fly forward.  The car may survive with
minimal damage but the passengers could suffer far worse injuries than the
newer car that is now totaled.

David Gates
'73 Spitfire 1500 (rigid, but love it anyway)
Hawaii