Re: Leaning Rear Wheel

To: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Leaning Rear Wheel
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:02:53 -0700
>When I test drove the car it seemed to have some sway in it...kind of a
>floating type feeling.  After the test drive I noticed that the tires
>were low on air and also that the left rear wheel was angled in at the
>top when viewed from behind (the right rear was perfectly straight up
>and down).  The owner told me that he had replaced the leaf springs
>himself.
Something is either bent, or the wrong parts have been installed.  I bet on
the latter.  If the axle assy from a 71-72 Spitfire was replace on one side
then it would cause the symptoms you describe because it's an inch shorter
than the 1500 axles.  take a look at the distance from the edge of the rear
tire and the edge of the rear wheel arch lip.  It should be visually the
same.  If one is visually different than the other than it's likely that
one of the axles has been replaced with the wrong one (an easy fix and a
good reason to knock the price down a little).   Otherwise something is out
of kilter.  Both wheels as viewed from the back should have roughly the
same camber.  Changing the leaf spring alone won't cause an out of camber
condition on just one side-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire