Re: SPITFIRE Engine side plates

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SPITFIRE Engine side plates
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:14:09 -0500
For all of you looking for Valences for your spit.  Make sure you check
with Spitbits at 1-800-201-0494.  The big three couldn't get them either
but when I check with Nigel at Spitbits he was able to get them no
problem.

> My spit also does not have the valences, and I have been thinking about
> trying to get some.  Jeffery, if you do end up punching dimensions into
> some sort of CAD, I would love to get a copy of them off of you.  That way
> I can look for a way to get them built locally.  Alternatively, if there
> are enough people interested maybe we could arrange to have a batch of
> valences made up.
>
> Andy.
> '68 Mk III
>
> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Moorse,Jeffrey wrote:
>
> > I would be happy to draw these up on a CAD system if someone has the
> > dimensions.  I have been doing design and tooling engineering for
> > decades and these are not difficult parts to produce.  However, there
> > are at least 2 valance designs, depending on the year of your car.  I
> > ordered a set for my 1974 from The Roadster Factory and got the wrong
> > ones, which did not fit. Their catalog apparently is incorrect and the
> > ones for a '74 are not available anywhere.  I plan to make some from
> > plastic sheet some day, probably .090 ABS.  I can work plastic at home
> > with woodworking tools and it won't dissolve in the presence of salt
> > water and steel like aluminum will.
> >
> > Jeff Moorse
> > Hurst, TX
> >

> > owner-spitfires@autox.team.net on 08/11/98 05:31:32 PM
> > Please respond to shmitty99@hotmail.com @ INTERNET
> > To: spitfires@autox.team.net @ INTERNET
> > cc:
> > Subject: Re: SPITFIRE Engine side plates
> >
> > I need some valences too.  I have the old ones in my trunk ... err boot
> > but they're shot.  In the machine shop where I'm working now we make a
> > lot of prototype sheet metal pieces for telecommunications equipment
> > (Nortel).  I wouldn't dare to dream that anybody has ever entered these
> > patternes into a cad program preferably Pro Engineer?  Reason I ask, if
> > I have percise (CAD) drawings I can input them into our automatic
> > punching machine and mill those bad boys in like 30 seconds flat.  I'd
> > have to bend them in the press but that doesn't take long either. Powder
> > coat them black and I'd be set.  I wonder what guage aluminum to use.
> > 0.090"?
> >
> > Just thinking aloud on the list.
> >
> > Ryan Smith
> > Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
> > Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire
> >
> > >From: Andrew Miller <amiller@JetForm.com>
> > >To: "'Spitfires'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
> > >Subject:  SPITFIRE Engine side plates
> > >Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:07:55 -0400
> > >

> > >Rod Randle supplied me with some tracings of his engine side valances
> > >earlier this year.  I had previously emailed measured sketches (I don't
> > >pretend to be a draughtsman) which showed to size, cuts etc.
> > >
> > >I'll restore the GIF skecthes tonight and post them tomorrow on a web
> > >site with a second email to this list with the URL
> > >
> > >Andrew
> > >78 Spitfire with new painted valances (wild raspberry Tremclad is awful
> > >close to Triumph Damson)

> [...]

"Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either!"

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now complete with Surrey TOP <VBG>)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Sheet metal going to body shop now)