RE: 5-speed production Spitfires..??

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: 5-speed production Spitfires..??
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:04:53 -0500
One of my club members here in Dallas has a 1978 TR8 coupe.  Before you say
it, no, Triumph didn't offer a TR8 coupe in '78...

His car is one of the pre-production test cars sent to the US.. which should
have been sent back (or scrapped) after testing was completed.  Yet it
survives today.

So yes, anything (including 5 speed Spitfires) is possible.  I wouldn't be
surprised, the TR7 4 speed is an evolution of the gearbox used on the late
Spitfire..  and the 5 speed is the TR8 gearbox.  Why not fit the 5 speed to
the other 4 cylinder car in the family?

Jim