Re: Valences, valences and more valences

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Valences, valences and more valences
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:22:23 -0400
At 07:41 PM 8/12/98 PDT, Ryan Smith wrote:
>Well I guess everyone has proper airflow on their minds lately.  But
>here's a few things to ponder.
>
>1)  What year are the designs everyone is floating around.  I have a 72
>MkIV and a later model's won't work.

Mine's a 79 with Smog Pump.   That means I have a slant radiator w/factory
electric fan and a "bump" in the LH valence for Pump clearance.   My car
had a valence from the front spoiler to the radiator too.

>2) Does anyone have the radiator ones too?  I have my left radiator
>valence on the car.  Its the only one of the 4 that's worth keeping.

Sorry, mine are different. :(

>3) Why are these things cardboard to begin with??  I mean didn't
>somebody at British Leyland think they might wear out?  Must have been a
>weight reduction initiative.

I don't think it was as much weight as cost.   My theory is, BL cut 'em out
from the boxes their parts came in. ;-)

Seriously, nowadays they would be made of plastic.   The one I made from
everyday galvanised steel is lighter than the original pressboard one it
replaced.

And with the exception of my spoiler valence, mine are still on the car
after 18 years.   That ain't so bad.

>4) Thinking about airflow... Has anyone tried making a cold air "hose"
>(for lack of better word) for their ZS carb?  I read somewhere a while
>back that if you take some ducting and route some air from in front of
>the radiator to the ZS intake it would improve performance.  Is this
>true or was somebody blowing some smoke?

My '79 has a factory intake that draws air from the RH wheelwell area.
That's a good spot for cool air. (Good thing I don't drive through many
deep puddles.)

P.S. Some of us are too cheap to have mail programs with spellcheckers.
So I would never complain about an occasional misspeld wurd.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

Confucius say: "Crowded lift smell different to midget."