Re: SPEEDO CABLE

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A), spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SPEEDO CABLE
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:47:04 -0400
At 07:03 AM 8/18/98, Bowen, Patrick A wrote:
>Atwell, what is a good synthetic grease to use,

I use a product called Tribolube, made by

Aerospace Lubricants
1605 Delashmut Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43212
(614)291-3045

It's $30 for a two ounce tube (Yikes$$$!)

Ford specifies a synthetic grease for speedo cable ends, that they also use
on the sliding surfaces of brake calipers.   If you want I could look up
that number in my Mustang shop manual (at home).    It only comes in rather
large tins (also expensive), but when I explained what I wanted it for and
how much (just half a 35mm film container worth), my local dealer GAVE some
to me!  (I must have an honest face.)

>...(and why not regular
>grease).

The purpose of this grease is less for lubrication than to act as a damper
for slight misalignment of the cable ends.   Regular grease doesn't work
well at all, it thins out when hot and is very stiff when cold.

Pay very close attention to the alignment of the sheath and its mating
surfaces. The straighter the better.

>  My cable core sheared in half not the casing.

In that case you could price a replacement cable core from a local
Speedometer Shop (look in the yellow pages).  But then again, I recall that
my complete Spitfire cable assy cost only about US $15 - $20 with the core
and everything (the plastic end broke on mine when I removed the speedo).
Make sure you get the longer one if you have overdrive.

 Good luck.

Atwell