Re: Spitfire Clutch Question

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Clutch Question
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:39:15 -0500
>I have a problem with my clutch. When you press on the peddle, it does
>not move at all. The car sat for about 4+ years. If I rebuild the clutch
>master and slave cylinder, will this cure the problem? I am a little
>lost on the hydraulics part I guess...
>
>Thanks,
>Shane Sizemore
>1979 Spitfire
>Douglasville, GA

Shane,

Do you mean the clutch pedal doesn't move at all (I assume that's what you
mean) or that when you press the pedal the clutch (inside the bellhousing)
doesn't respond? If the former, then my SWAG (based on the fact that it sat
for 4+ years, and my own memory of my former spit's clutch mechanism) would
be that the throwout bearing is frozen where it is, and rebuilding the
cylinders wouldn't help. Unless any listers know a "neat trick", that would
require taking it apart, I'm afraid.